A CiF piece by Andrew Rawnsely, on the relationship between the U.S. and Britain, in the context of President Obama’s recent visit to the country, (What is the special relationship behind the barbecue bonhomie, May 29), which didn’t once even peripherally mention Israel or the Middle East, still managed to elicit this, which quickly garnered 49 Recommends.
In addition to the tortured syntax and redundant metaphors (so, the UK and U.S. are “servants” and “poodles”?!), its worth noting that this comment advances the hateful and absurd narrative that the small Jewish state is the “master”, controlling the behavior of great powers such as the U.S. and UK.
Though in fairness the comment was deleted shortly after I reported it, it’s important to note that the reader was advancing an argument extremely similar to one advanced in a Guardian approved CiF commentary by John Whitbeck in December in which he referred to America’s “slavish subservience to Israel.”
Fear not, though, because, after the CST complained that Whitbeck’s tropes were indistinguishable from anti-Semitic canards about the danger of Jewish power, the Guardian admitted guilt and removed the word “slavish” – establishing that “subservience to Israel” is just fine, but that “slavish subservience to Israel” runs afoul of their editorial guidelines.
My heart goes out to such readers as, given such mixed messages, it must be darn confusing for self-respecting Israel haters to know precisely when their animosity towards the Jewish state falls outside CiF’s “community standards.”
- Disturbing amount of anti-Semitism by Guardian readers following CiF piece about Israeli PM’s speech (cifwatch.com)
- Hateful Guardian reader comments about Jews & Israel beneath Daniel Levy’s celebration of Hamas (cifwatch.com)
- Vicious hate unleashed by Guardian readers inspired by Harriet Sherwood’s attack on Geoffrey Alderman (cifwatch.com)
- Guardian readers unleash hateful anti-Israel vitriol in response to Goldstone Report defense (cifwatch.com)
- Why was this deleted? (cifwatch.com)
- Image accompanying Guardian ‘letters to the editor’ post condemning Israel evokes classic canard (cifwatch.com)
- The Guardian grants licence to voice expressing alarm over the injurious effects of organized Jewish community in U.S. (cifwatch.com)
- More from Guardian’s letters page: hatred towards the Jewish state which turn facts on their head (cifwatch.com)