When reading the following comment advancing the Israel – Nazi analogy I was also struck by the attempt to refute Ahmadinejad’s calls to annihilate Israel – an apologia remarkably similar to what was advanced by Guardian columnist Marina Hyde in her recent polemical assault on those supporting military intervention to stop Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons. Indeed, the comment was posted under Hyde’s commentary.
Such rhetorical obfuscations about the malevolent intentions towards the Jewish state by the Islamic Republic of Iran have become an increasingly popular political leitmotif for the anti-Zionist left – aimed at undermining Israeli and Western fears of Iran’s aspirations for regional hegemony.
What’s particularly interesting about this comment is that it defends Iran, denies that the country’s leaders ever expressed desire to annihilate Israel, while simultaneously comparing Israel to an ideology so offensive that its elimination is not only acceptable, but a moral necessity.
To this Guardian reader, the tragically misunderstood nation of Iran merely seeks the end of the only sovereign Jewish state in the world.
Finally, its impossible not to read this comment without understanding the greater context: Guardian readers are routinely exposed to commentary at ‘Comment is Free’ from contributors who implicitly, or explicitly, similarly call for an end to the Jewish state.
If you find such hideous propositions within the realm of acceptable liberal opinion, then its quite likely you’d be more predisposed to run interference for Islamist regimes like Iran which promote such aims.
The terms “useful idiocy” or “anti-imperialism of fools” doesn’t begin to do justice to the morally odious logic of such Guardian Left anti-Israel advocacy.
- Guardian readers skew conversation about UK, U.S. & Iran in a decidedly Semitic direction (cifwatch.com)
- Closing of the ‘liberal’ mind: Guardian’s Marina Hyde denies that Iran calls for Israel’s destruction (cifwatch.com)
- Guardian readers and their inalienable right to make Israel-Nazi analogies (cifwatch.com)
- Guardian reader’s thinly veiled threat against Jews doesn’t result in suspension of user privileges (cifwatch.com)
- Glowing Guardian profile of Jacqueline Rose, bold analyst of Zionism’s psychosis (cifwatch.com)
- Guardian moral equivalence watch: Iran edition (cifwatch.com)
- Berchmans or Ben White? Deep thoughts at ‘Comment is Free’ on why Jews are hated (cifwatch.com)
- ‘Comment is Free’ writer praises Hamas for limiting its acts of terror to ‘only’ Israeli Jews (cifwatch.com)
- Guardian reader on “belligerent” Jewish race: 72 Recommends, not deleted by CiF Moderators (cifwatch.com)
- You know you’re an antisemitic Guardian reader when…you defend Gilad Atzmon (cifwatch.com)
- The national culture of anti-Zionism: The Guardian creates a new kind of British identity (cifwatch.com)
- CiF readers blast Jonathan Freedland’s critique of Guardian Left orthodoxies on Syria, Iran & Israel (cifwatch.com)